Friday 2 March 2018

In Like a Lion


2nd March.  Yes, it is the 2nd March!  I must have mentioned that feeling of spring being in the air when I visited Holywell not so long ago, but that was of course before this beast from the east was mentioned.  I had thought initially that the beast from the east might possibly have been a new entrant into the Brexit negotiations, perhaps for negotiations you best read farce!  I now hear that even the waterfall at High Force has frozen up for the first time since 1929.  Do any of my readers remember that I wonder?  Anyway, I don’t intend to visit for photographs, instead I’ll await someone else putting images onto the internet.  I do hope to get out onto patch tomorrow.



Garden bird watching seemed to me to be a good idea over the past few days and I’ve watched the bird seed disappear at a rapid rate.  It reminded me of a comment made by someone some years ago on a forum regarding the feeding of garden birds.  Their thought was that whilst they enjoyed feeding the birds and watching them in the garden, they didn’t believe that such feeding made any difference what so ever to the birds or their survival.  I thought that showed a complete lack of understanding of bird behaviour and needs and I won’t bore you with some obvious facts.  In recent years Song Thrushes have returned to my garden, usually around the end of the year and they or probably best to say it, as it is usually a single bird tends to become more active as far as song goes as the new year progresses.  I remember one of these birds singing in the early hours of a New Years Day not so long ago.  I noticed this year it’s song began in early February.  As per usual this bird is dominated very much by the Blackbirds, but still manages to get its share of feed.  The beast from the east has put a stop to any song and has also made this Song Thrush appear far less nervous, or at least more desperate to get at the feed.  I noticed today that it has taken to coming and sitting near the window as if waiting for more food to be given out and its seems to favour cheese.  At the moment it is looking very healthy and the neighbouring cats have stayed clear, touch wood.  Just as this bird is benefiting by a bit of help during this cold spell, I’m sure there are many species also benefiting around from handouts around the country.  Just in case anyone is wondering, I’m positive that this Song Thrush is the same bird as it is easy to tell by its behaviour pattern.

One thing the snow has done is to help show of this Song Thrush at its best.  I think it is something about the light that is reflected from the snow which has done the same for the Fieldfares which have appeared along the road and in the bushes outside of my home.  They appear to be making the most of a few remaining berries.

Late this afternoon a small flock of six Long-tailed Tits passed through the garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment