Saturday 11 April 2015

A Triple Arrival on Patch

11th April.  A cancelled trip to the coast allowed me to take a walk out on patch.  Surely there had to be hirundines here today, and sure enough before I reached the lake I had spotted some Swallows.  Once at the lake it wasn't long before I was watching a newly arrived mixed flock of Swallows and Sand Martins.  The flock was mostly made up of Sand Martins with certainly forty plus present.  At last!  I was just beginning to think migrants were arriving late this year when I found a Common Tern feeding over the lake, and this one seems to be here early.


The Great Crested Grebes need to get cracking too or any young will be relatively late this year.

No luck yet with regard to Willow Warbler.  I searched the area where I usually find new arrivals and there was no sign of them.  Growing numbers of calling and active Chiffchaff however.

No comments:

Post a Comment