Thursday 6 March 2014

Great Crested Grebes...Lake Action.



4th Mar.  I was alerted by Sam that there are now two Great Crested Grebes on the lake and that he had heard calling from the bird first to arrive back.  When I visited later in the day I initially saw only the longer staying bird which remained well away from the edge of the lake and swam down the lake.  I decided just to walk along side and I did eventually find the second Great Crested Grebe in amongst the flock of Pochard.  This bird was snoozing with head hidden.  On coming into closer contact there was much diving by the two grebes, as if to stay out of one another’s way.  Eventually the longer staying bird made some speedy on water threat actions towards the other bird, with neck and head stretched low down onto the water.  Then there was a chase in the air with the second bird diving and retreating.  It would seem to me that this is not the usual pair meeting up again but the regular resident defending his territory as he has done in the past.  Let’s see if the regular female joins him soon.  Or am I wrong and this second bird is she?  I don’t think so, but time will tell.

I again couldn’t see any sign of the Scaup.  Other waterfowl included Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Shoveller, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Moorhen and Coot.  Some of the Coots having started nesting some time ago.  Unfortunately the caging remains on the floating island and there appears no intention to remove it.  Perhaps a few complaints might make the council think on this one!  I’ll also take note on how long it takes to remove the rusty old cycle left by the lake side.

Anyway whilst the action on the lake was taking place I bumped into Sam who perhaps deserves the title of Killy Birder more than I do of late!  We took a walk around the area to watch other action and found the likes of Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush and the female Sparrowhawk flying high above the lake once again.

1 comment:

  1. Nice that the Grebes are arriving back on the lake. I look forward to hearing more as we get properly into spring.

    ReplyDelete