Friday 4 October 2013

A Rare Twitch



4th Oct.  Yes, I joined Tom and Sam on a rare twitch today and visited Druridge for the Subalpine Warbler. (Sam suggested I ought to have worn a balaclava to protect my image as non twitcher).  We arrived to find that it had being showing well.  So well that others present were getting ready to leave.  We hung around for a while as the rain began to fall and had a brief if not too good a sighting in one of the bushes in the dunes.  Then the bird flew off.  I’m pleased to say that after a while it reappeared in the bush on the west side of the road where it had been seen before our arrival.  This gave the chance of far better sightings for all present.  A few familiar faces present (many I only know by sight) which included Phil A and Jack B.

Large skeins of Pink-footed Geese and a Kestrel kept us entertained during our wait and on leaving for Creswell the family of Stonechats were seen.

 The water at Cresswell appeared to be quite high, but some mud area was showing.  Waders seen about the area were Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Curlew and Common Snipe.  A good number of Teal were present at there was at least seven Little Grebe on the pond.  The sky blackened to the north and the rain began again as we prepared to leave for home.  The Subalpine Warbler was a UK tick for me and I believe a lifer for Tom and Sam.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the odd 'twitch' is good, lol. It's a very nice bird to have on your UK/life lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx for such a fantastic website. Where else could someone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the look out for such information. https://twitchviral.com/

    ReplyDelete