Tuesday 17 January 2012

Frozen!

17th Jan. A non birding day, but I took a look at the lake as I came past on my return from Forest Hall. I wanted to track down the Grey Wagtail seen by Sedgedunum Warbler. I failed. Most of the lake is frozen and all of the Goosanders appear to have fled. The gull flock on the ice was made up primarily of Black Headed and Common Gulls along with a few Herring Gulls.


To my surprise I found a pair of Shoveller at the far end of the lake. Believe it or not that is a patch tick for me! I had been alerted by Sam that they had been around at some point last year. At least one pair of Goldeneye remains and Pochard numbers appear to have grown. The Mute Swans, Canada Geese and Greylag Geese were tightly flocked at the far end of the lake.

2 comments:

  1. Two Male Shoveler on GP yesterday, could be the same birds.

    Heard about a wrecked Little Auk on Killy Lake recently, sadly killed by the Coots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Brian. I hadn't known about the Little Auk.

    ReplyDelete