Sunday 27 November 2011

Short Eared Owl Remains on Patch



Don't let the sun go down on me
Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see
I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free
But losing everything is like the sun going down on me
Lyrics Elton John

Ok, Ok you have to start somewhere. Just included to let you see there is still a Short Eared Owl about.:-)


27th November. I decided to make for the wagon-ways this afternoon rather than the lake, as I thought it might still be rather windy.


I was down on the Killingworth to Holystone path before seeing much at all. I counted only six Linnets today, although I suspect there was a larger number down on the ground. The numbers of Fieldfare have risen from last week and I estimate at least one hundred and thirty were present in the fields and hedges today. Over head I had at least one hundred and fifty Golden Plover breaking into two then three smaller flocks.


Short Eared Owl was not on my expected list of birds, as I had thought they had moved on. I was very pleased when I saw one flying low over the ground some distance away. I had better sightings as I moved closer and I watched a single bird for sometime. It eventually seemed to take a breather and the cold was starting to get to me by now anyway.


The sun disappeared as I began my return walk, but not before large flocks of corvid lifted in front of it and flew off in the direction of Gosforth Park


Tribute to a Gentleman.

Not often I would stray from birds and wildlife on my blog, but I was really saddened to learn of the death of footballer Gary Speed (42) this morning. Football is a professional game with more than its share of over paid numb-skulls involved in it, and much cynicism. Never the less, I love the game and Gary Speed has always stood out as a decent guy and a gentleman. He served and represented every team he was involved with extremely well, including Newcastle United for several years. Very, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment