Monday 15 August 2011

Philately Again.



The first day covers bearing the Alderney stamp mark and some very nice stamps of local birds to the Channel Islands have arrived. Not quite matching the quality of the Henderson Island FDC, but very nice all of the same. Now I just have to find myself an actual Balearic Shearwater!


I’m continuing to read Birds of the World book concerning Albatrosses and Petrels. Quite heavy going in places, but throwing up some very interesting points. I think I can now pronounce Yelkouan without a second thought and I even know what it means. Apparently it is Turkish for ‘wind fighter’.


I also learnt of the Manx Shearwater that was ringed when fully grown in 1953, that was re-captured at Copeland Island, Northern Ireland, in 2003, and therefore was at least 52 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment