Wednesday 2 March 2011

Reflections



Reflections upon Tyne


1st March. I found myself on the south side of the Tyne today. The afternoon took in Clara Vale, Crawcrook, Prudhoe and surrounding areas.


I’d never been to Clara Vale Nature Reserve before but had heard a lot about it. If I’m honest I wasn’t impressed by it, but appreciate it may have more to offer at other times of year. I didn’t find the hide until I’d returned from a walk along the River Tyne. There wasn’t much to report bird wise apart from tits and commoner finches and of course the close up Grey Squirrels.


It was a beautiful sunny day with clear blue skies, so I found the walk along the path between the golf course and the River Tyne rather more enjoyable than the short time spent at the reserve. I didn’t come across Kingfisher but did find seven Goosanders on the river and numbers of Cormorant and Mallard. The reflections on the river were showing well.


Three Common Buzzards were picked out from the gulls over the landfill at Crawcrook and up on Hedley Hill a flock of over sixty calling Fieldfare was found. I ended the day in the woods at Prudhoe. By now temperatures were plummeting at speed under clear evening skies. It was never the less very atmospheric and the highlight of the afternoon found me standing in the woods listening to the far carrying calls of Tawny Owls and Pheasants, and the mewing of Common Buzzards, two of which had flown overhead just above the tree line. The song from Song Thrushes seemed to be coming from all directions so it would seem that this species is doing very well in that particular area. Sadly I learnt that some of the wooded land owned by the hospital trust has already been lined up for building.


The day hadn’t brought large numbers of birds and I was surprised not to see any Red Kites, but it had been a wonderful day to be out and I had caught up with a birding friend I seldom have the chance to meet up with these days. Spring begins officially on 20th March, but it certainly felt as if it had arrived today!

No comments:

Post a Comment