Wednesday 7 July 2010

Down to Earth.

A Light Emerald Moth that I almost trod on.
Grey Heron at Druridge

One of the dead Moles.

Eyebright Euphrasia nemarosa


7th July. After my trips north to Scotland over recent weeks I’m afraid the patch has been rather neglected by me, as has local birding in general. I was out very briefly today, but only between other businesses, although I did find a Light Emerald Moth on the footpath and remembered instantly that it was the moth that I had found in the forest whilst in Dumfries and Galloway. The most notable difference on patch now is the lack of bird song. I heard very little today apart from the calls of Chaffinch and Wrens. I noticed lots of Common Ragwort was in flower in the area I often find insects, but on looking I found only one Small Skipper Butterfly.

I haven’t been totally inactive over the past couple of weeks. An RSPB Local Walk brought some interesting plants in the Rising Sun Country Park including one of my favourites the hemi-parasitic Eyebright. I noted also that there is a very good showing of Northern Marsh Orchids in the park this year. No doubt some hybrids amongst them. I found numbers of Common Blue Butterflies continue to be high in the park, and Small Skipper and Meadow Brown were also seen. Common Blue and Large Red Damselflies were over one of the ponds. My favourite pond for odonata has been ruined at least for now in an attempt to make a suitable dipping pond. In fact most of the small ponds seem neglected to me. We gave most attention to the plants as bird life seemed minimal, but we did in fact find thirty-four species and everyone had excellent views of the Sparrowhawk, which appeared on two or three occasions. We found two dead Moles and a dead Hedgehog, perhaps in this state because of the dryness and heat. I managed to get a decent photo of the Mole’s foot.

Anyone who reads the blog will know I enjoyed the time I spent in Holywell with Holywell Birding, Crammy Birder and the 19th Whitley Bay Scout Group despite me missing the Little Egrets and Hobby. I take consolation in having learnt a bit more about botanical issues myself, as I helped, I hope, in a small way to increase the scouts’ interest. I enjoy seeing people discover new things about nature as much as doing so myself, especially when they are keen, and these guys were. The preparatory day I looked at the pond it was pretty quiet it has to be said, but Cain and I did see the Little Grebes with young as well as other birds which included Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Treecreeper, Willow Warbler and Bullfinch.

I’ve been so busy I haven’t even written down a list for my trip to Cresswell and Druridge Ponds and East Chevington. I do remember seeing lots more Common Blue Butterflies and a Burnet Moth and a good showing of terns at East Chevington, which included Common, Arctic and Sandwich Terns. A Grey Heron posed long enough at Druridge, even for me, to get a decent enough photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment