Sunday 3 January 2010

A Day by the Window

Fire in the sky
3rd Jan. It’s only the 3rd day of the year I know, but I felt I needed a rest so having taken delivery of my BNE calendar (and a very nice one it is too) from postman Alan T, and cleared the front path before the next fall of snow, and it appears that there are going to be several more falls this week, I sat back and watched Leeds beat Man United (I like neither team, but tis good to see the smile wiped off Fergusson’s mug). In between the tackles I kept a watch on the garden birds, more so than I have done for sometime. I was hoping for something a bit different in the garden, but that wasn’t to be and in fact early on the birds seemed reluctant to come down too the feeders, but that soon changed and everything has been cleared now.

The birds I saw from my chair, granted they did not all land in my miniature garden were in no particular order Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit (1 passing through), Chaffinch, Robin, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Dunnock, Starling, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow and Black Headed Gull. When I removed myself to upstairs and looked out of the window I found I had timed my move to perfection just in time to catch a Sparrowhawk overhead being harassed by a crow. The hawk flew off so the garden birds were safe for the time being. Coal Tit and Long Tailed Tit were new for the year so I don’t feel I’ve wasted the day except for watching the football perhaps!
The next snow shower is already beginning to show in the air. When I went to look at the sky I found there had been a wonderful sunset which looked to have set the sky on fire. I managed to catch the end of it from the front door. I’m off to fix my calendar up in prime spot. If this weather keeps up I may be forced to start writing about my resolutions and hopes for 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment