Sunday 23 August 2009

Whinchat on Patch.

Thistle Heads
Painted Lady Butterfly

Peacock Butterfly


Lge White Butterfly



22nd Aug. I decided to walk the waggonway today and rather pleased I did as I found a new and very much unexpected bird for the patch list. Whilst watching what appeared to be a growing number of Goldfinches feeding on the thistles I got my eye on a lone bird perched atop of thistles and grasses. It proved to be a female Whinchat. I watched it and length and took careful note of the plumage markings. I assume it was making for the coast.

Not too much else about bird wise, but I did find Willow Warbler in the hedges. Good numbers of Greenfinch and Goldfinch throughout the walk. At one point towards Holystone a large flock of Goldfinch was disturbed by a Kestrel which continued to hunt over the fields for sometime. Swallows seemed to be gathering in preparation for migration. Two female Pheasants disappeared into the crops as I passed and others birds included Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, and Linnet.

Still good numbers of butterfly around and I reckon this included 15/20+ Wall Browns which were very fighty and appearing to be engaged in courtship. Others seen were Large White, Small White, Green Veined White, Peacock, and 1 Painted Lady. The latter just before I arrived home.

No comments:

Post a Comment